You have to do some research and get as much information as you can if you are interested in getting the best fishing kayak for big guys. However, it is important for you to know what you exactly need in terms of the requirements and needs.
Luckily enough, we have done the most difficult part for you by listing the best fishing kayak for big guys together with what you need to consider when shopping for one. Below are the best kayaks for big guys currently available in the market.
Best High Weight Capacity Kayak Reviews.
1. Lifetime 10 Foot Sport Fisher Tandem Kayak
The Lifetime 10 Foot Sport Fisher Tandem Kayak is perhaps one of the best fishing kayak for big guys in the market. It has been designed with a tunnel hull that enables you to cast while standing up or sitting on the sidesaddle.
In case you are interested in spacious, convenient and comfortable kayaks for big guys, then this high weight capacity kayak should be your best option.
- It has helpful and angling related extras that will ensure you have a more agreeable time on the water.
- This 500 lb capacity kayak is sufficiently steady to stand on without stressing over, tipping over and falling into the water.
- The kayak for large man is constructed utilizing the solid thickness, polyethylene; lightweight, UV-secured outside that ensures it will not blur, peel or split.
- It has ergonomic seats with agreeable backrests that make fishing for big guys incredible.
- It is large in size hence carrying it is much difficult.
- Its speed and tracking is not the best due to its wide design
2. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak.
The Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler is great when it comes to fishing. It has a well thought out design that provides one with lots of storage space and a comfortable seating position.
- An exceptionally fast fishing kayak is great for people who prefer speed and maneuverability.
- Weighing 67 pounds, it manages to be in line with what a fishing kayak should weigh.
- It has an adequate seat for the job and has adjustable foot braces that allow it to accommodate different sized paddlers.
- It has a standing room that is molded into the bilge and the center console provides a place to store your fishing equipment.
- With a hull length of 13’ 6”, some anglers find this kayak to be less maneuverable.
- With a beam of only 29 ½”, there are anglers who will find it not stable enough to suit them.
- With a weight of 67 lbs, there are anglers who might find it difficult to load and unload unassisted.
3. Sun Dolphin Journey 12-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak.
The Sun Dolphin Journey 12-Foot is known to be the best fishing kayak under 600 for anyone starting out with a small budget. Though it might not be the best-made kayak compared to other bigger brands, it is known to have an unbeatable price and will offer you a great fishing experience.
This is a perfect kayak for a beginner or a buyer who is on a tight budget.
- It is a great product considering the features it contains against its cost.
- It has a decent amount of storage space hence the anglers can always store their fishing tools.
- It has a great and comfortable seat to ensure the angler is comfortable when fishing
- It does not have handles on the sides.
- It is not stable when standing on top
4. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak, 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set.
The Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Set refers to a two-person kayak for big guys that have been designed for both fishing and recreational usage on mild rivers and lakes. Most of its users have reported its success on stronger and rapid rivers due to its high build quality.
This best fishing kayak for big guys has a streamline and a striking yellow design that is stylish easy to use and safe. One of the things that make it an exciting prospect for any beginner and the intermediate paddler is its price.
- It is of bright color that makes it difficult for any person to miss on the waters.
- It is US coast guard approved hence putting to rest any apprehensions that you might have concerning the product.
- It is lightweight hence can easily be carried by one person.
- It comes with great and comfortable seating thereby ensuring the angler is always relaxed.
- Its paddles are non-adjustable despite being a two-seater hence can be inconvenient for the shorter people or children to maneuver the kayak.
- The bottom of this kayak is black hence absorbs more heat. This can make it to inflate and eventually cause punctures or tears.
5. Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak.
The Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler is designed by professional kayak fishermen. It is popularly known for its great stability, speed, and maneuverability.
This high weight capacity kayak is also known to help anglers get their favorite fishing spot that will enable them to ease the spotting of fish and fish in comfort.
- This kayak is quite fast when compared with other types of kayaks for big guys.
- It is highly functional due to its great features.
- It is stable and comfortable hence cannot lose balance
- Its molded footwells can be quite frustrating at times
- The side handles can at times break when loading if one is not careful.
6. Useful UH-TK181 12.5 foot Sit On Top Tandem Fishing Kayak.
The Useful UH-TK181 kayak, 350 lb capacity is known to have a distinctive design with the pattern being trendy. According to the Useful UH-TK181 12.5 designers, the design will help the kayakers blend in any environment in the wild and help the fish remain calm and relaxed.
This kayak 500 lb capacity comes together with excellent tracking and the great thing is its ease of maneuverability.
- Has Great tracking hence easy to maneuver.
- Has a great design that ensures every kayaker is able to blend in any environment
- This kayak for big guys is not lightweight weighing around 68 pounds.
7. Lifetime 10 Foot Sport Fisher Tandem Kayak.
The Lifetime 10 Foot Sport Fisher is one of our best fishing kayak for big guys on a budget. The stable and simple design makes it perfect for recreational anglers and beginners. A shorter tandem kayak is capable of holding up to three people though one person can paddle it.
Its seats are higher up off the water compared to other extra wide kayaks thereby allowing users to stay drier and more comfortable when on the water.
Its short and wide design ensures there is maximum stability thereby allowing the anglers to stand up whenever they are casting or sitting sidesaddle.
It also comes together with padded backrests, 6-inch storage hatch, and 3-rod holders.
- It is ideal for the less experienced paddlers since it is steady enough not to tip over and tough enough to handle.
- It is sold at an entry price point that attracts most of the first time kayakers.
- It remains steady even with multiple people on board.
- It can easily accommodate a variety of body shapes with ease and comfort
- It is a heavy kayak weighing around 80 pounds when it is empty thereby making it difficult for most of the fishers to carry it alone.
- The design of this kayak does not encourage tracking or speed.
More Informative Information on Fishing Kayaks.
Brief History of Fishing Kayaks
The Artic people were the ones who made the first kayaks from wood. They used them for fishing and hunting. This invention was done back in over 4000 years. The oldest kayak that is ever known have been displayed in the Munich city at Germany and in the ethnology state museum. The make of traditional kayaks is wood.
Various needs for both the adventurers and fishermen are what have made the kayaks to be reshaped from what was a body of traditional wood to plastic materials of high quality. The major revisions were made from the kayak’s design. The designs of kayaks are now better hence improved control, stability and speed.
In the year 1936, kayak racing was included in the Olympics to constitute paddling games. Kayak racing will be included in the coming 2022 Olympics games that will take place in China.
Fishing Kayak Maintenance Tips
Here comes the list of key kayak maintenance ideas and steps.
- After every use, check your kayak for any damage. Kayaks are exposed to damage especially if they are used for adventurers that are aquatic. Huge waves and strong water currents may make the kayaks hit the rocks found in the rivers.
2. Ensure that the metal components are kept dry and clean. The kayak’s metal parts are always prone to rust build up. In order to keep your kayak strong and fresh, keep them clean and also apply treatments where possible.
3. Avoid exposing your kayak to sunlight. Too much exposure to sunlight will make your kayak’s colors fade easily. The plastic components of your kayak may Brittle when exposed in much sunlight. This makes them prone to cracks and breakage.
4. Clean your kayak’s storage and ensure that you keep it dry. Leaking of water inside your in built kayak’s storage is possible. Ensure fresh scent and cleanliness by cleaning your kayak regularly by use of water and soap. Also, dry it in the air in order to expel bad odors. No one will be comfortable of storing something in a stinky place anyway.
5. If you have an inflatable kayak, ensure that you deflate air out of it. Storing a kayak which is inflated is an exposure to punctures. It’s better if you remove the air and then store it in either a box or bag for space saving.
Below are various types of fishing kayaks
- Sit-on-Top Kayaks
The Sit-on-top kayaks have been greatly recommended for big guys. These kayaks comes with cockpits that are larger. This allows the bigger guys get in and out of their boats easily. Therefore, they are not likely to tip. Again, they enables the paddlers sit comfortably while having their legs at the front and on the kayak’s top instead of inside.
This is a kayak with storage space. They feature plenty space for your legs without having to sacrifice your fishing gears and valuables storage space.
They provide room for you to move around and be comfortable as you fish. Besides, in comparison to sit-in kayaks, the sit-on kayaks gives you room to excitement and great kayaking experience. These kayaks are more stable and gives enables you to fish while standing. They are expensive but a worth investment since they are durable hence you will enjoy their services over long time period.
- Inflatable Kayaks
These aren’t ideal for larger people. However, they are affordable, buoyant and durable. The inflatable kayak weight capacity is low. This implies that they may not be able to accommodate different sized anglers. Some inflatable boats have a weight capacity which is descent but they will not be durable.
- Sit-in Kayaks
A sit-in kayak is not designed as a heavy duty kayak. They constitutes a small cockpit and a narrower beam. This complicates the exit and entry from the boat. This may lead to a tip. They however gives you great protection to your lower body. They are also great to people who prefer staying dry and warm during their kayaking. These are also kayaks recommendable to persons who likes kayaking throughout the year.
Buying Guide For The Best Fishing Kayak For Big Guys .
It is important for any person interested in buying the best fishing kayak for big guys to know what to look out for. There are many factors one can always consider when shopping for the best kayaks for big guys.
Mentioned below are the important factors.
The best fishing kayak for big guys is always quite heavy since they always offer more space to more than one person. In case you are looking for the best fishing kayak under 1000, it is important that you look one with a shorter length.
However, in case you are physically strong, you can always go for the long tandem kayak.
If you have earlier happened to take a kayak out of water, you are best informed that we bigger fellows have a challenge in getting in and out of the kayak. Wide kayaks have lesser tipping chances.
Wide kayaks are also more stable on water. Therefore, it’s good to check your kayak’s width and make sure that its width is at least thirty inches. The wider it is, the better for you!
Portability is known to be a great issue to some anglers. It is important to ensure you get the best fishing kayak for big guys that you can easily move around with.
Always consider the place where you will use your kayak i.e. the water current, terrain and water type i.e. if the water is fresh or salty. It’s very important for you to know such things before buying yourself a kayak. The reason behind this is that most kayaks are designed for use in specific environments only. Use of an inflated kayak for rivers that are rocky is not a good idea despite your kayak’s strength. Flowing water may sharpen the rock’s edges that can tear or puncture your inflatable kayak easily.
Any person would want to have the best kayak for a heavy person that he or she can easily control. Getting kayaks for fat guys that are difficult to control will give you lots of problems. It is advisable to settle on a kayak that you can easily control.
Budget is an important aspect to consider before kayak’s purchase. Its wiser sticking to reviews, ours included. We got as low as to ten best kayaks which best suits your needs and budget. Never get settled for less or even allow cheap kayaks fool you since you may end up in trouble or even worst enough get injuries or even die.
- Sit-in or sit-on-top tandem kayak
This will totally depend on your decision. The kayaks for fat guys are known to be much better in warm areas while the sit-in tandem kayaks for large people are capable of protecting you from the cold weather.
- Paddling Partner
You will need to get a kayak that does not have a deeper cockpit in case you are planning to go for kayaking with a kid to ensure the kid can easily paddle it. In case you are taking your dog with you, then it will be great if you have a detachable seat in your kayak.
The kayak’s material will affect its durability and weight directly. Since this is a big investment, ensure that you go for a durable kayak. Materials that make kayaks are different and each has positive and negative impacts.
Polyethylene is durable and water resistant. Softshell kayaks are unpopular but great in resisting punctures and abrasion. Composite kayak material includes fiberglass. Fiberglass is expensive, rugged and lightweight. However, its chances of getting damaged are lower.
Footrests and adjustable seats provide room for you to customize on your seating position according to how best you feel comfortable.
Features To Consider When Buying a Kayak If You’re Big
Kayak weight capacity is a consideration for you being a big guy. You may think of having a compact craft such as a kayak. In spite of their small appearance, many yaks have a weight capacity that is high. However, do not confuse capacity with the actual weight!
Thin or fat, your yak’s weight capacity is important. This is especially if you will happen to carry extra gear e.g. fishing gear or camping equipment.
So, have in mind your weight plus your gear’s extra weight.
Look for high weight capacity vessel. Also try to get the option of the one that exceeds the combination of your weight and that of your gear. The closer you get to your yak’s maximum weight, the lower the yak is likely to sit on water and be slow. The craft’s stability will be affected as well.
Seating and Depth
You will also like to think about your kayak’s depth. The deeper your kayak is, the more room you are likely to have.
Your feel on stability may also be affected by the height and position of your kayak’s seat. If the kayak seat sits in the deck lower, you will be more comfortable. This is because your center of gravity is likely to be lower than when the seat had been on a higher position in the vessel.
It’s also notable that yaks that have more raised or defined sides are more secure than the ones with a lower profile.
The seat type also plays a role on your comfort while on the water. A seat that has an adjustable backrest is very useful when it comes to search of a paddling position that is comfortable.
It’s very important to everyone when their kayak have enough room since they will be comfortable despite their sizes. If you are bigger, have more concentration about the general size and the width of the cockpit more so if it happen to be a sit-inside yak.
A wide kayak will normally have cockpits that are wider. This offers seating area that is more spacious. The wider your vessel is, the more it is likely to be stable. This is a reassurance when it comes to big man kayak or a guy new to kayaking.
You can be able to spread your weight across your wide kayak. Wide kayaks are normally not designed for speed. You can also add your yak’s width by attaching outriggers .
Addition of outriggers makes your vessel appear to be a wide fishing kayak. Weight distribution across a wider area can be facilitated by outriggers. This makes your kayak feel wider than what it is normally. This boosts stability in the same manner that you may stabilize the bicycle of your kid through adding training wheels.
If you expect to benefit from the illusion of extra width and the additional stability, you can add outriggers to your vessels.
When it comes to getting in and out of your kayak, sit-on-top kayak would make a better option when compared to the sit-inside kayak. This would be probably because sit-on-tops provides more open and spacious cockpit in comparison to the sit-inside kayak’s enclosed cockpit.
Generally, a sit-on-top is more stable when compared to the narrower sit-inside vessel. It can also be beneficial when getting out and in. They will require lesser skills when getting out and this provides an easy time for beginners as they use them. Beginners will require no wet exit training for them to exit the sit-on-top vessels. Therefore, when you capsize, you will automatically get out.
Ideal Kayak for Big Guys, What’s The Bottom line?
We have variety of kayak types in the market. However, not every design is a big man kayak. Every kayak designed for big anglers have got their own benefits and disadvantages. Your choice will therefore be dependent on personal preferences and requirements.
I hope you have gained a lot from our best fishing kayak for big guys review. Do not waste more time, get the best fishing kayaks today and go on an adventure with your partner.